Making an immigration appeal

​​Make a sponsorship or residency obligation appeal, appeal a removal order, respond to a Minister’s appeal, find information on legal representation, preparing your case, sharing documents, or attending an alternative dispute resolution meeting.

New IAD Rules for immigration appeals have come into force.

Webpages in this section have been updated to reflect the new Rules.

Read Summary of key changes to the Immigration Appeal Division Rules for more information.

Services and information

Make a sponsorship appeal

You can appeal if you sponsored a family member and their application for a permanent residence visa was refused

Appeal your removal order

If you have received a removal order, you may be able to appeal. A removal order can be received after an examination by an immigration officer or an admissibility hearing before the IRB’s Immigration Division

Make a residency obligation appeal

You can make a residency obligation appeal if you applied, while you were overseas, to a Canadian visa office for a travel document and your application was refused

Respond to a Minister’s appeal

When the Immigration Division renders a decision in your favour and allows you to stay in Canada, the Minister of Public Safety can appeal to the IAD because they disagree with that decision. Your role is to respond to this appeal

Preparing your appeal

Prepare for an alternative dispute resolution

What you can expect if you are scheduled for an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) meeting. This type of conference is only held for certain files

Preparing and disclosing documents for your appeal

Documents can be part of the evidence you present as part of your appeal. Find step-by-step instructions for how to share documents

Preparing your case

Find helpful information on how to prepare for the most common types of appeals

Representation at your hearing

Learn who can represent you at your hearing, understand the differences between paid and unpaid counsel, how to tell the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) about your representative