This page is available in the following languages:
As the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) resumes holding in-person hearings, important COVID-19 health and safety measures have been put in place to protect hearing room participants, employees and visitors.
Before your hearing: All parties appearing before the IRB will be required to complete a self-assessment questionnaire, first when they receive the Notice to Appear and then again upon arrival at IRB offices. This will assess:
- whether you or someone you live with display any symptoms or
- if you have been in contact with someone who has recently been diagnosed with COVID-19.
What to expect when you arrive for your hearing
You must arrive 30 minutes before the hearing start time indicated on your Notice to Appear.
When you arrive, physical distancing measures will be in place:
- Non-medical masks are required in all public spaces and will be available upon request.
- Always keep a 2 metre (6 feet) physical distance between yourself and other occupants.
- Follow directional floor markings, wall signs, and any instructions provided to you by IRB employees and security guards.
- All public spaces will be sanitized frequently throughout the day.
All visitors will be asked to complete a
self-assessment questionnaire upon arrival.
People who are exempt from wearing a mask or face covering
- Children under the age of 2.
- Individuals with a medical condition that makes it difficult to wear a mask. This can include but is not limited to:
- Medical condition, mental health condition, cognitive condition or disability that prevents wearing a mask or face covering.
- Medical condition that makes it difficult to breathe.
- People who are hearing impaired or are communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, and where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
- Individuals who are unable to put on or remove a mask without assistance.
- Individuals requiring accommodation in accordance with the
Canadian Human Rights Act.
Entering the Building
- Follow all instructions on your way toward the elevators or hearing room.
- Safety measures, such as limiting the number of people, will be in place. Please follow all signs and instructions on the use of elevators.
- For everyone’s safety, elevators will be sanitized regularly.
Floor lobbies, hallways and waiting rooms
- Once you arrive at the location of your hearing, you will be required to line up and present your identification.
- You will be asked by the security guard to sanitize your hands after completing the health questionnaire. Your body temperature may also be monitored by a non-contact infrared camera.
- Your hearing may be rescheduled if you don’t meet the minimal security screening requirements or if the infrared camera detects that you have an above normal body temperature.
- A security guard may escort you or provide you with directions to the registration desk and/or hearing room. Remember to follow the directional floor markings and maintain physical distancing. Follow all directions provided by registration desk employees when providing or completing documentation.
- In order to protect the health and safety of all parties appearing at the IRB, your hearing may proceed by video conference with a member who is in another location.
- Hearing rooms are sanitized before your hearing starts and again after you leave.
- The security guard will escort you to the hearing room and guide you to your seat.
- Inside the hearing room distancing measures are in place but it is at the discretion of the individual to wear a mask. However, masks must be removed when testifying or providing submissions.
- Please sanitize your hands when entering and leaving the hearing room. Hand sanitizer dispensers will be available at the entrances and on the table.
- Hearings rooms are being equipped to support additional participants in-person. If your hearing room has plexiglass, please ensure to speak loudly so the decision-maker is able to hear you through the screens.
- Once the hearing is completed, the security guard will ask you to exit the hearing room and leave the building as soon as possible by following the directional markings and you must ensure you have your mask on.
Public washrooms and water fountains
- The number of people using washrooms at one time will be limited. Follow all signs and instructions.
- Please ensure to wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom.
- Water fountains with disposable cups will be available for use and will be sanitised on a regular basis. Bring your own water bottle if you are not comfortable.